Monday, June 8, 2009

Weekend retreat

Fuh ….what a week-end we had! It was quite a fun, exhilarating and exhaustive weekend especially for my kids. We have visited 3 different places, 2 around Selangor and 1 in KL. We went to FRIM in Kepong, Sungai Tekala in Ulu Langat and KLCC.

FRIM – Forest Research Institute Malaysia
I had always wanted to visit this place since a few years back when my good friend, CK, told me that it was a highly recommended place for a family get-together thingie.

We tried to go there once a few months back but unfortunately at that time, it was raining like cats & dogs with occasion thunders. We ended up having a cup of teh tarik (click here to see how we, Malaysian like our tea being served) and buns at a small Malay stall just outside of the main gate.

Anyway, this time we did manage to visit the place. It is a good family–get-together place especially if you like to jog or walk, camp, meditate under the tree or just for the love of surrounded by nature. I was quite surprise and impressed with the well planned “township”. This place is huge and green!

First place we stop by was the playground…. got to let the kids release their “energy”. Here’s what “restraint-in-the-car-for-an-hour” would do your princess … “monkeying”.






We then had our tea at Malay Tea House Restaurant for a cup of “Misai Kucing” as in Cat Whiskers. This is a picture of "Misai Kucing" flower. See the resemblance? It was recommended by the waitress. Apparently, it is a favorite amongst Malay tea lovers as it helps to reduce cholesterol, body heatiness etc. can’t remember much as I just wanted to try something new and besides, she mentioned the magic word - "lowering cholesterol". mmm .... no need to think twice. Anything that lowers cholesterol will be a plus point to me. Well, not sure if it helps my cholesterol with just a few cups but it definitely taste good and quench my thirst.

It was a quite a hot day, so we just drove around the area. We didn’t really have the chance to “feel” the whole place and because of this, personally, I think FRIM is a just “so-so” place to visit. I know I know... its not fair comment but that's how i felt.

Hey, it’s way past 1am. Need to get my sleep. I’ve got an important appointment first thing in the morning. I’ll share with you the other 2 great places we visited ... with great pics too. Stay tune.

3 comments:

  1. What a nice outing! Sounds like a great time:)

    I spent the weekend working and yesterday I was going to see "Hangover" but decided it was too late to go to the theater. I don't think that movie is out in your side of the world yet, but when it is you HAVE to go see it. EVERYONE I know keeps telling me it's REALLY crazy funny. Oh, and go see "UP" with your kids. I REALLY LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed you use acronyms instead of the full words ... KL, FRIM, CK, ...curious. Is that a cultural thing in Malaysia?

    YUM ... tea. Your tea seems very frothy from the pouring and pouring .... Is anything added to the tea? Milk or sugar ??

    Loved hearing about your weekend.
    ACT

    ReplyDelete
  3. CC, mmm .. kinda like calling u CC ... not sure if Hangover started in M'sia but UP has. Anyway, I'm not a movie goer ... more of a DVD person where I can start, pause, stop, fast forward, repeat, zoom in/out anytime. :)

    ACT, mmm... never really notice if it's a cultural thing but since u ask, I think (thinking hard ... ), we kinda like acronyms,esp lazy bugger like me! The tea was served hot. I didn't add milk nor sugar. Taste really good, in fact we replenish hot water into the pot and it still taste good. My mom is quite a (Chinese) tea drinker and she is quite particular about certain tea. She was adventurous that day and she gave a thumb up too.

    ReplyDelete